Monday, April 7, 2014

Alicia! 4-7-14 Franklin, TN 2 weeks!

Ok so General Conference was totally amazing! We always write
questions before we go in and this week has just been so spirit-filled
and spirit led! So much inspiration!

After my email last week I was pondering very deeply about what this
area needs and how we could improve the work here. We have received
revelation after revelation about what we need to do. Our answer: it
is all about the members! This is an area that has not had a lot of
convert baptisms and members are not accustomed to inviting their
friends and neighbors to hear about the gospel. They are wonderful
people, they are just busy. So missionary work is not at the forefront
of their minds. Through my studies and thinking about members several
things became very clear. Then yesterday during conference, Elder
Ballard addressed exactly what I had been studying all week! It was
amazing! It felt so great to know that the spirit truly had been
directing my studies and the things I needed to know were confirmed by
an apostle of The Lord! That was a unique and exciting experience. I
invite you to study his talk again. What is really neat about it, is I
feel like The Lord is giving me this focus right at the end so that I
can go home and be a great member missionary. I have all the tools I
need and now I know what direction I need to take with it. Revelation
and inspiration are amazing!!

This is another tidbit of information that I have been thinking about
this week. So probably Tuesday morning I woke up and I could not stop
thinking about Jackson Hole. I kept getting all of these warm feelings
and impressions about my experiences there in the past and what The
Lord has in store for me in the future. I kept thinking about the
missionary opportunities that I had in Jackson. I wondered if that
meant something. So throughout the week I have been wondering what I
should do with these thoughts and impressions. I have had a myriad of
feelings- good and bad- about going back to the BarT5 and had not made
up my mind if I wanted to try and go back. Then yesterday during Elder
Perry's talk the spirit tugged at my heart again. He started talking
about driving a team of horses and I could no longer focus. I know
that I need to go back to the BarT5. I have prayed about it. I have
weighed the pros and cons. And ultimately it has come to the spirit
told me I need to go, so I will do it. Can you please give Jeff and
Cindy a call and ask them if they have any positions available? I will
take any job they can offer me. Wrangler, office girl, cook, anything.
Also please let them know that I will be available to work May 17th-
right after Disneyland.

I have had just a roller coaster of emotion about coming to this
conclusion. I can see so many pros to it- especially in regards to the
structure (I can study my scriptures every morning and go to church
every Sunday. I can also go to the temple and go out with missionaries
on my days off). And the cons.... All social. I have so much anxiety
about being in a house with a variety of colorful people who probably
are not as close to the spirit as I have been for the past 17 months.
But I also remember the impact that those return sister missionaries
had on me while I was there. Stephanie Brady especially. There was one
night in particular that had such an impact on me. I am so grateful
that she was thoughtful enough and in tune with the spirit enough to
help me. So for whatever reason, The Lord needs me to transfer to my
next area in Jackson Hole. I feel that he is preparing someone for me
to work with there.

I feel sad about not being able to spend more time at home- but I also
think this is probably the best thing for me right now. I will have
two weeks at home with mom and dad and Mel. One week of Disneyland.
And then I will be just a few short hours away and always available to
call, text or skype. And you better believe that calling my wonderful
mom and dad are definitely going to be a priority.

If there is a chance you could also arrange some things for me when I
get back in town. I really need to get my teeth cleaned! I am going to
need to buy some new undershirts. And I would so so appreciate if I
could have a massage or a chiropractor visit before I head out
again... My poor aching body... I have had this crazy shoulder pain
with the bags I have had to carry and I think I need to be readjusted
again to help my back out.

I am starting to pack today. I need to mail some things home. I keep
waking up stressing and thinking about being prepared for the next
transfer... So it is better that I get everything done now and be
prepared rather than stress myself out right at the end. This is real.
I am on my way in only about two weeks.

As far as the work, as I said we are shifting focus. We are focusing
on working with the members and helping the people that we have
already found to progress. So lots of member visits this week and
connecting all of our investigators to solid members. We had one
member family invite one of our investigators to their home for
conference. They said it was a wonderful experience. We had one
investigator watch at least three sessions of conference from his
computer at home. We had one investigator come to the church for one
session of conference.

Our most promising investigator is still James. His fellowshipper
called us the other day and told us that he is saying he wants to jump
all in! We are thinking that means baptism? And President Andersen
said that we can teach him over Skype if we need to! So we might be
seeing a baptism right before I go home! :)

Things are going. I am happy! I have never experienced so many roller
coaster emotions before and I have never cried so much. I am grateful
that Heavenly Father has a plan. I trust him and know that I am in his
hands as long as I do my best to obey and follow his spirit. I am
nervous and excited about these changes that are about to come. But I
am praying fervently to be able to still see miracles and stay ever
focused on the work. This work is incredible! There is nothing like it
in the whole world! It has changed me. It has made me so much better
as a person and as a member of the church. I will never look at church
callings or relationships within the church the same again. I will be
a missionary forever.

I love my mission! I love you all! You are amazing! Thank you for your
love and support and for your prayers. You have no idea how much you
all mean to me. Mom and Dad, I love you so much and really appreciate
how diligent you are in emailing and your constant love. Thank you so
much.

I love you always,
Sister Alicia Johnson

PS- I don't know how much money I have in my account. With mailing
things home, we probably just need to be sure to keep at least $100 in
there for right before I leave. Just in case. Thank you so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment