Monday, April 21, 2014

Alicia final Email! 4/21/14 Franklin, TN

 This is it!

My beloved family:

I can hardly believe that my mission in Tennessee is truly coming to a close! The Lord has truly poured out his blessings and miracles on me. I just can't stop thinking how grateful I am! I am so grateful! Every trial and experience, every miracle, every investigator, every companion was planned and prepared before this life. I know that. I know that Heavenly Father truly knows me. I know he understands what is going to help me to grow and change the most in this life and during this brief time that I was able to serve Him with all that I have. There is no greater blessing than serving my Heavenly Father! 

It is hard to remember everything that happened this week. It feels like it went so fast! We spent a lot of our time with James helping him to prepare for his baptism. It is so interesting to see how the work has changed since we have been here. We came in with nothing. Literally. Not a single investigator. So we spent many days knocking doors and trying to visit members to inspire them and help them with the work. And miracles have occurred. There is a new feeling in the air concerning missionary work in Franklin. And now, after a two year dry spell, they have a recent convert. James is phenomenal! 

So after we talked to him about baptism on Sunday, we had a lesson with him on Monday. I was praying for a confirmation from the spirit to know that he truly was ready to take this step. We read a passage from the BOM and he stopped. He stared at the page for a minute and then he said, "I think The Lord has been preparing me for this for about a year now. I was really happy in my church, but about a year ago something happened and I felt uncomfortable in my church. I started looking around but everything else was uncomfortable too. So I just kept going. When I went to the LDS church for the first time, I felt so comfortable. It just felt right. And the BOM- it just makes sense! It is so clear!" At that moment, the spirit confirmed to me that James is ready. And he is willing. We went through the baptismal interview questions with him and he readily committed to all of them. When we asked about him knowing if Joseph Smith was called as a prophet he replied, "There is no way he could have written the BOM. And the BOM came from God. So he must be." Therefore, President Thomas S. Monson is also a prophet of God! He connected the dots and he breezed through the interview with flying colors! It was such a beautiful way to spend my last week: preparing one of The Lord's beloved sons to enter the gate and begin his journey as a disciple of Christ! 

The baptism was beautiful as well. We held to after church yesterday. James was baptized on Easter Sunday! What a beautiful way to celebrate the blessings and the resurrection of our Savior! The room was filled with wonderful members who stayed to support James in his decision. I have never seen a room that full! Brother Huggins, a member of our ward who is in the same MBA program as James, was the one who baptized James. Bishop Johnson confirmed him a member and gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost. He blessing he offered talked about how James would help many others to come to the truth. 

That is the incredible thing too! Already he has talked to one of his friends about the restored gospel. We had a lesson with another family that really just wanted to bible bash. James was so excited to encourage us and give us pointers on what would help them. He is so great! Pretty much another convert to the church that I know I was meant to be apart of his conversion story. I love him dearly. There is just this special connection to those that we help bring to Christ through baptism... I feel so grateful! It was sad to say goodbye to everyone after the baptism as I recognized that that was my last Sunday as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. But I am grateful and excited for the future missionary opportunities that The Lord will provide. I know He will! 

Not only did The Lord pour out his blessings with James's baptism but singing in the choir yesterday was such a blessing too! Especially that morning- the final song, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," was so powerful.... The spirit was incredible!! I definitely started to cry because of the sweet power of the spirit. I truly do KNOW that MY REDEEMER LIVES. I know it. 

I love being a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have been shaped and molded and changed. Also, during last evening's choir performance, I was looking around at all the missionaries that I have been privileged to serve alongside and I could picture us- 50 years down the road- and I could feel, this is not the end. This is only the beginning. 

How grateful I am for a Heavenly Father who loves me and who loves all of His children! My life has been changed forever! And to all my beloved friends and family in Nashville Tennessee, this is not goodbye- but until we meet again. 

And to those back home, I love you. 

  1. 1. Oh, what songs of the heart
    We shall sing all the day,
    When again we assemble at home,
    When we meet ne'er to part
    With the blest o'er the way,
    There no more from our loved ones to roam!
    When we meet ne'er to part,
    Oh, what songs of the heart
    We shall sing in our beautiful home.
  2. 2. Tho our rapture and bliss
    There's no song can express,
    We will shout, we will sing o'er and o'er,
    As we greet with a kiss,
    And with joy we caress
    All our loved ones that passed on before;
    As we greet with a kiss,
    In our rapture and bliss,
    All our loved ones that passed on before.
  3. 3. Oh, the visions we'll see
    In that home of the blest,
    There's no word, there's no thought can impart,
    But our rapture will be
    All the soul can attest,
    In the heavenly songs of the heart;
    But our rapture will be
    In the vision we'll see
    Best expressed in the songs of the heart.
  4. 4. Oh, what songs we'll employ!
    Oh, what welcome we'll hear!
    While our transports of love are complete,
    As the heart swells with joy
    In embraces most dear
    When our heavenly parents we meet!
    As the heart swells with joy,
    Oh, what songs we'll employ,
    When our heavenly parents we meet!
I am so excited to give you all a big hug in just a couple of days!! Until then, I will continue on serving my God. I love you!

Love, 
Sister Alicia Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment